Friday, September 23, 2011

Ice & Rock '2012 - Some motiviation to stay in shape next year

I really love climbing things. I also need motivation to stay in shape. I got in the best shape of my life this year, and I need an inspiration to stay there. Since this year is about shot and I don't have any vacation time left, I've started thinking about next year. If you're interested in joining on a trip drop me a line. All routes are moderate alpine or rock.

What's in the Box on Bighorn Peak 
This route eluded me this summer because of an out of shape partner and too little time. The crummy thing about this route is long bushwack to get to it - the part that decked my partner. However the route looks like it's well worth the effort.

About the route
  • Difficulty: III, WI3/M3
  • Trailhead elevation: 8,600ft
  • Summit elevation: 12,324ft
  • Route length: 1500ft
  • When to climb: May
  • Approach: 8 mile bushwack each way
  • Days required: 2-3
  • Distance from home: 557 miles (8.5hrs)
  • Fringe benefits: get to see family on the way home.

Tower 1 Gully on Mt. Helen 

I've never climbed in the Wind River Range, but I keep hearing good things. This moderate route is evidently one of the best in Wyoming. The only draw back is the 2-day each way approach. That might doom it to a couple summers from now...

About the route

  • Difficulty: III, WI3+
  • Trailhead elevation: 9,300ft
  • Summit elevation: 13,620ft
  • Route length: 2000ft
  • When to climb: August
  • Approach: 20 miles each way BUT
  • Hike the Titcomb Basin approach - one of the most beautiful hikes in the US
  • Days required: 5
  • Distance from home: 881 miles (14hrs)
More fun would include extending the trip to a week and climbing Gannett Peak, the highest point in Wyoming and a worthy objective.

"Black Cloud Traverse"
This is less of a route and more of a ridge scramble. Looks to be 5.6ish. Doesn't look like it's been done before. 3 miles above 12,000ft on the spine of the Bighorns. Includes Cloud Peak, The Innominate, and Black Tooth Mountain. Should be gnarly.




About the route
  • Difficulty: IV, 5.6 (??? hasn't been done)
  • Trailhead elevation: 8500ft
  • Summit elevation: 13,167ft
  • Route length: 8000+ elevation change
  • When to climb: August
  • Approach: 10 miles in, 5 out to tensleep
  • Days required: 3
  • Distance from home: 557 miles (8.5hrs)
  • Fringe benefits: get to see family on the way home. 





Harney Ice Flow
A guy needs something to climb in winter, right? The Black Hills sit 5 hours from my door, so this is an attractive 1-2 day weekender.


Cathedral Spires - Spire 2
I should be able to lead it without loosing my grip on sanity. Plus it's in the black hills too.

    I have a feeling I won't get all that climbed next year. Ah what the heck, a guy's gotta dream...


    View 2012 Adventures in a larger map

    No comments:

    Post a Comment